Sometimes life can get so busy, that we get to the end of the day and realise we haven't spent any of it with God. Here are some tips to help you spend more time with Him, even when life feels too busy to stop and pray.
- When you find a prayer you would like to pray regularly, type it out and laminate it. Stick the prayers around the house where you will see them throughout the day, and you can pray them in the middle of your chores. I have my morning offering and prayer for priests sitting above the sink in my bathroom. Each morning when I am getting ready for the day, I pray these prayers, which then lead to the St Michael prayer, and my litany of saints for my family. You could put one above your kitchen sink, on the mirror etc.
- If you are a reader, use a prayer as a bookmark (I use Holy cards). When I open the book I am reminded to pray before I start reading.
- Keep a pocket rosary in your pocket, and when you have a few minutes spare - if you are waiting for dinner to cook, or waiting in the car, or at an appointment - you can pray a decade of the rosary.
- Keep a pocket rosary under your pillow. You can pray a decade if you need to rock a child back to sleep, or if you wake and have trouble falling asleep.
- Have a recording of the rosary on your phone, and play when you are driving in your car.
- Learn a quick prayer that can come to mind at any time of the day, especially when you are feeling stressed and have trouble forming your thoughts. For example:
- Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me, a sinner.
- Lord, have mercy.
- O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee.
- My God and my all!
- Jesus, my God, I love Thee above all things.
- Pray with the children when you say good night to them.
- Pray the examen before falling asleep, or simply thank God for the blessings of the day, and fall asleep thinking of Him.
I hope this list is able to help you fit more prayer into each day, as you strive to grow deeper in your faith.
Did you know that Marian Graces sells beautiful, handmade rosaries and chaplets, designed to last a lifetime of prayers? If you would like to know about limited new releases, and exclusive sales at Marian Graces, enter your email here.